Friday 22 June 2012

Day 00: Bangkok, Thailand (Part 1)


Bangkok, Thailand 
(19 – 22 April 2012)

Day 00: 19 April 2012

From: Changi International Airport (Terminal 1), Singapore
ETD: 22:10
Airline: AirAsia
To: Suvarnabhumi International Airport, New Bangkok, Thailand
ETA: 23:30

Typical me, I arrived at Changi International Airport 1 hour before the flight. Yes, the queen of tardiness strikes again. I was quite confident though since I did a web check in using my mobile phone on my way home to pick up my stuff before going to the airport. The only problem is I don't have a print out email of my check in. Am I good or what? Luckily, Air Asia has this kiosk where you just need to scan the bar code of your boarding pass in your mobile phone/print out email. Thinking that luck is on my side, I immediately scan the bar code on the kiosk but to my dismay I only received an error. I tried again. Still an error. I ask an assistant and he just directed me to the counter. Since I don't know what went wrong, if it's because of my GPRS or because I am late and I can only use the barcode 1 hour before the scheduled departure, I just follow his advise and went to the counter. Now this is bad as I still need to line up. Fortunately, the queu is faster than I thought and I am able to get to my boarding gate right on time. Plus one point for Air Asia.



The plane arrived right on time. Since, it's a budget airline I'm expecting it to be crammed inside and yes I am right. The ride was quite good and comfortable though I'm wondering why they turn the plane like they were drifting a car on a mountain way. The cabin crew were accommodating and pretty but hard to comprehend as their English is not that good. The view outside when we came to Thailand area of responsibility is beautiful, the lights was way better than Manila at night from above. We arrived at Bangkok five minutes earlier than the expected time of arrival. Well if you ask me I am definitely riding Air Asia again (of course if they have promos. Hahaha!)

Suvarnabhumi International Airport is really big. I think bigger than Changi Airport but I'm not sure since it looks like they only have one terminal for international flights. We rode a bus going to the airport terminal from the airplane. Its over crowded in the bus because all the passengers in our flight squeezed themselves in. The travel time was about 5 minutes from the airplane to the terminal.

The terminal is a haven for shopaholics, there's a lot of boutiques where you can shop from Burberry, Channel and the likes to Bangkok own signature brands. It was made of glass and the design, I thought of it as typical Thai's structure. Overall the airport is nice and well lighted. They just need to add more signs to direct the people on where to go.



At the immigration, it's also very convenient. No long lines, maybe since I arrived midnight and there's not much question asked. I just find the immigration officers wearing a surgical mask a bit offending. Anyways, I went directly to where the public transportation is (2 floors down) since I won't be able to ride the airport train link as it closes midnight, I decided to take a taxi.

Upon exiting the terminal's arrival area, a long queue of taxis are waiting. There's an assistant who will assist you in giving direction to the taxi driver. But beware as they don't ensure that the cab drivers will bill you according to the meter. Once the taxi entered the highway right outside the airport, the driver charge me for 400 baht, he will pay the toll and no surcharge he said. Too tired to argue and converting the fare to SGD I just agreed (16 sgd is not bad at all plus it's safer as he might leave me in the middle of the highway). The drive was quite long, passing through long stretch of highways and bridges. It took us 30 minutes to arrived at the hotel without traffic.

Hey let's talk about the hotel and my first day on my next entry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment